Sunday, 26 October 2014

Maleficent

This is Lauren as Maleficent.  This costume was made for her to cosplay at Fan Expo Canada 2014, and for Halloween.

The horns and the back are what seem to draw the most interest. The horns were formed  with gardening wire, small starter pots, and making tape (all dollar store materials). From sculpting to paint and varnish, the whole horn-making process took about two hours (excluding the paint-drying time, of course).

This costume is my version of what I thought to be the most remarkable scene from the Maleficent movie; just after her wings have been burned off. Also, I didn't want to make wings (lol). The wounds were easy to make. The dress material kind of melted, and left the solid scorched bits around the edges. Then I sewed in some bathing suit liner, and painted it with acrylic paint and white glue.

Feedback from Lauren was that the top was hard to get into for Fan Expo. It is very tailored to her, so I added a side zipper, running from the left armpit down to the bottom of the blouse.

The staff is a painted branch from the garden, topped with LEDs and a substance called Goo-Hu, that is moldable rubber/epoxy which dries into a super bounce ball.

I'm very much looking forward to going out with her and my friends this Friday for Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment